Thursday, June 30, 2005

50 Most-Popular Commands

On the recommendation of Jeremy Hussell, I have made a page listing the 50 most-used commands. Jeremy wanted to know which commands are most frequently used, as these would make good candidates for replacing some of those 1-letter commands that don't get used much.

Here is Jeremy's post:
Why not reserve the 1 character commands for the most commonly used commands? Which reminds me: are the commands case-sensitive? Unicode?

Just looking through the lower case letters, there are a lot of duplications and 0 parameter commands.

n - another google search
b, s - google.com, no search(!)
c, d, f, j, m, p, q, r, w - 0 parameters
h, i, t, x, z - blogs, 0 parameters
k - broken command

l, u - duplicate, but possibly useful, URL shortening command
a - answers.com search
e - everything2.com search
g - google search
o - search opera software knowledge base
v - search spanish law
y - yahoo search

So, out of the 26 shortest, easiest to type commands, 19 are obviously useless, and I would bet that o and v aren't used by many people.

Is there a way to find out which commands are being used the most so someone can map them into the 1 letter commands?

10 Comments:

Blogger JeremyHussell said...

Cool. Can you show the number of times used on the standard ls, ge, and man pages too?

7/01/2005 10:32 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Jeremy - Done!

7/01/2005 6:48 p.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi Jonas. Interesting idea about expiring unused commands. Especially the 1-, 2- and 3-letter ones. If you see any obvious replacements for these, let me know and I will make the change.

7/02/2005 2:53 p.m.  
Blogger SETH said...

I vote for replacing 'w' with 'weather' and 'm' with 'mov'? Dunno how many times I've hit 'w' expecting weather. Luckily I stopped using it before you started counting.

7/02/2005 5:22 p.m.  
Blogger SETH said...

Can't say I agree with making parameters mandatory. It's pretty useful (to me at least) to hit 'bl' and be taken to my bloglines page. Besdides, that would mean 'ge' and 'ls' would have been killed (before Jonathan added args to them).

7/02/2005 5:27 p.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi Slack - Yeah, let's go with your suggestions for w and m and see how it goes. It's better than what's there currently.

7/03/2005 12:17 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Jonas - Sounds like you are frustrated with the ego-links because they aren't useful to many people. I'm torn because I also like the simplicity and freedom of the current system. How about if we continue along the path of manually replacing the 1-, 2-, and 3-letter commands with commands that are obviously more useful?

7/03/2005 8:27 p.m.  
Blogger SETH said...

I do agree with you about the problems of the ego links polluting the short commands. Replacing them as we find them seems reasonable to me.

7/03/2005 9:51 p.m.  
Blogger ycc2106 said...

Agree w Jonas, unused commands should be deleted after say 3 month like emails. Several sites have shutdown and their commandes are now obsolet (eg. all the ma.gnolia.com commands can be deleted, canela and pielcanela are spam to me +they changed URL...)

I'm also for parameters... I feel it's a waist to use up the short commands. Some could be combined : bl could support both using the Microsiervos technic

PS: I'm quit proud of my tr2, it's in my fastyub FF extension. Please try it and tell me what you think =)

8/13/2009 12:50 p.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

tr2 is interesting! Though for some reason, when I try the examples, it seems to think the original language is Swedish.

8/13/2009 6:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home